"It's what I've always wanted to do, to show the laughter, the fun, the joy of dance." ~Martha Graham

Thursday, August 11, 2011

What's Up with Me?

Sorry I haven't been updating! I intended on posting about everyday of Company Camp, but learning so much choreography in such a little amount of time was stressing me out. It's much better now, so I'll update:

So we'll start with ballet. We are doing a dance called "The Seasons". It is absolutely gorgeous and elegant. Basically what happens is there are four short dances that make up kind of a "Mini Ballet". First there is a snow scene, and everybody wears white tutus and there isn't really a story line. Then there is a group of four shorter girls who pretend to be little kids in the spring. There dance is really cute! They do lots of cartwheels and little jumps.

Then the 4 girls grow up into teenagers in the summer, and then they do a dance as teens.

Then finally the four teens turn into 4 adults in the fall, and they do a dance. I'm one of the adults. It's funny cause my teacher keeps calling me "an older girl", but in truth, I'm one of the youngest girls in my company! We range from 12-18, and I'm 13. The only reason I play an adult is cause I'm one of the tallest girls.


Onto Modern. We are doing a really cool dance that is done as a duet. It's very slow and melty, but REALLY cool. It's hard, and I don't quite have it, but I'm close :o).


Lastly, we have Jazz, we are doing a dance to a song from West Side Story:
My teacher divided us up into 3 groups. Basically we did a group of higher level short girls, higher level tall girls, and the lower level girls. I'm in higher level tall girls, which I was really excited about, because some of my friends who are the same level as me are in the lower level group, so I feel quite proud of myself!  My group's part starts at 1:21, we got the hard part of the music cause there aren't a lot of counts.

And also, WE HAVE OUR FIRST PERFORMANCE ON SATURDAY! We are dancing at a back-to-school fair at the mall! We don't know any of our dances well enough to perform yet, so we are just doing stuff from last year's company (which I wasn't in), and from last year's recital (which I was in!). I'm doing the tap dance and the character dance! Also, we are gonna learn a Cappoira piece (Brazilian Martial Arts, which is Martial Arts and Dance Combined!) next week! I LOVED Cappoira at dance intensive, and I'm excited to do it again!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like so much fun, Jasmine! :)

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

♥Jasmine