"It's what I've always wanted to do, to show the laughter, the fun, the joy of dance." ~Martha Graham

Friday, October 26, 2012

First rehearsal...

So now we can talk about my first rehearsal.

But first, we have to rewind back a little more... For weeks, I have been searching for some sort of song that my dancers could be friends to and fight to at the same time. After hours of pandora, itunes, and youtube, I finally came up with the perfect song at 11:00 pm the night before my rehearsal. And now, you all get to hear it!

(not my video, I give full credit to the owner of this video)

I am definitely going to edit the song, so that I don't have to choreograph for 4 1\2 minutes.


So after coming up with four counts of 8 at 12:00 am, I was ready for rehearsal. I had my first rehearsal on Saturday from 4:30-6:00. I got there about 4:20, and a bunch of my dancers were already there and ready to go. We actually practiced our company numbers for 10 minutes until all my dancers were ready. Finally 4:30 hit, and I sat everybody down in a circle and we talked about the piece and the concept. I played the music for them (everybody loved it!), and then I told everybody the parts they were going to do.

I told everybody that I wanted to keep my two main girls for a little while and that everybody else could go hang out and do whatever. I taught my two main girls my little phrase, and they did a great job! I love watching my own choreography being performed by someone else. It feels very fulfilling.

Then after they were comfortable with the choreography, I got everybody back in, and we experimented on some partnering things. Nothing huge, just some lifting and a linked circle. I think it looks great.


So that's about it, we have a two week break. Next week we are going to TAD (be on the lookout for a post about that!), and the week after that we are dancing at a festival for company. That's good though, it gives me plenty of time to makeup new choreography!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds AWESOME! I bet watching other people do your choreography is an amazing feeling. :]

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

♥Jasmine