"It's what I've always wanted to do, to show the laughter, the fun, the joy of dance." ~Martha Graham

Sunday, May 19, 2013

The 12 Days of Recital- Day 1

Hello Everyone! Goodness, it has been a long time since I have posted! Life is very busy, and sometimes, you've got no time to post. But anyhow, I decided that I definitely wanted to come back and do "The 12 Days of Recital" again. I love going back and reading about last year's journey. Many great moments and one of the hardest moments in the years that I have danced happened during recital, and I love having the documentation of what was happening and how I felt about it all. I can also see all the ways I have grown and improved.




So here we go! The 12 Days of Recital: 2013. This year we are doing "Mary Poppins". Our show is put together from a combination of the movie and the Broadway musical. For my lead role I play Constable Jones. I don't really get to dance as the Constable, but I get lots of crossings and I get to run across the stage and chase Jane and Michael with a stick. For Jazz we are doing the overture like we did last year, but our dance is to a Jazzy version of the Chim Chimney song. For Modern we are the Temper Temper scene from the musical. For Ballet we are the Carousel. For Tap we are the horse race, and for Pointe we are nanny angels. You are probably wondering what "Nanny Angels" are, and honestly I'm not even sure.. I guess in the beginning of the movie where Mary Poppins starts out on a cloud, it is like Nanny Heaven, and there are other Nannies who live in Nanny Heaven. So at the end of the show, we are the other Nannies in Nanny Heaven who welcome Mary Poppins back. I don't really understand...
 
Anyway, yesterday was a very busy day. We had a normal ballet class in the morning from 9:00-11:00. After that we had auditions for our Companies. Everyone gets in, but we have to audition for placement. I'm already in the Senior Company, so even though I haven't gotten my letter yet, I already know that I'm in Senior company.
 
After auditions we got a little break, so I stayed at the studio and hung out with one of my friends while two of our other friends ran to get lunch for all of us. In the meantime, we got three of our little friends (who are around 8-9 years old) together and we had fun creating different shapes where me and my friend would be the base and create a pose, and then the three little ones would come climb on us and pose and create a really cool shape. It was quite fun.
 
Next we ate... my salad was really yummy.
 
Then we from 2:00-4:30 we had our third lead cast run through of year. That is when the lead cast basically performs the entire show straight through to practice our parts, work out kinks, and get and idea of how the show will flow. We did the entire show with costumes facing away from the mirror, so it was a little stressful, and definitely chaotic. The good new is that I think it went rather well.
 
After the run through I went home and immediately turned around for a babysitting job. 8 kids, 3 1\2 hours,  1 room. Hey, I gotta pay for the expenses somehow!
 
So that was my day yesterday, today I'm chilling at home, but I will stretch and condition for a little while after I finish this post, and then I might swim laps for an extra cardio workout with my dad. Be sure to come back tomorrow for Day 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

♥Jasmine